The Government of Nigeria, supported by UNFPA and UNICEF, is hosting a meeting of the UN Commission on Life Saving Commodities for Women and Children. The Commission advocates at the highest levels for the increased availability, affordability and accessibility of essential but underutilized commodities for maternal and child health.
The conference in Abuja aims to
- Emphasize the UN Commission’s recommendations and implementation plan
- Share best practices to increase access to life-saving commodities
- Review draft implementation plans and reflect country priorities and needs
- Develop milestones and targets for effective country and global level monitoring of implementation
- Launch “Saving One Million Lives” Initiative. In attendance at the conference will be Nigerian dignitaries; members of the UN system; and national and foreign delegates dedicated to saving and improving the lives of women and children.