The evaluation will be forward-looking and strategic in nature and will aim to inform the programming and implementation of interventions under the current Strategic Plan (2014-2017) including key strategic orientations, gaps and opportunities for UNFPA support to population and housing censuses as well as to the post-2015 development agenda on data for development.
The results of the evaluation will be presented to the UNFPA Executive Board in June 2016.
The primary objectives of the evaluation are to:
- To assess the relevance, effectiveness, efficiency, and sustainability of the UNFPA support to the 2010 round of population and housing censuses
- To assess the extent to which census data are disseminated and used, to contribute to policies, development plans and programmes in relation to population dynamics, reproductive health and rights, youth, and gender equality issues
- To identify lessons learned, capture good practices, and generate knowledge to inform the midterm review of the strategic plan, in particular outcome 4, and the support of UNFPA to the 2020 census round.
The evaluation will include all countries where interventions supporting the 2010 population and housing censuses round were undertaken.
Management and governance of the evaluation
The evaluation will be undertaken by the Evaluation Office (EO) of UNFPA with the support of an external team of experts to ensure an independent and credible exercise is conducted. The responsibility for the management and supervision of the evaluation will rest with EO evaluation manager who will also be responsible for ensuring the quality and independence of the evaluation
The progress of the evaluation will be followed by an evaluation reference group (ERG) consisting of members of UNFPA services and external stakeholders.
The ERG will support the evaluation at key moments of the evaluation process providingsubstantive technical inputs, facilitating access to documents and informants, and ensuring the high technical quality of the evaluation products.
The members of the ERG include:
- Alexandra Chambel, Chair of the ERG, Evaluation Manager, Evaluation Adviser, Evaluation Office, UNFPA
- Ann Pawliczko, Officer in Charge, Population and Development Branch, UNFPA
- Christophe LeFranc, Regional Population and Development Technical Adviser - Census and Data, Asia and the PacificRegional Office, UNFPA
- Edilberto Loaiza, Senior Monitoring and Evaluation Adviser, Technical Division, UNFPA
- Eduard Jongstra, Regional Population and Development Technical Adviser, Eastern Europe and Central Asia Regional Office, UNFPA
- Hicham Daoudi, Internal reviewer, Evaluation Adviser, Evaluation Office, UNFPA
- Laurent Assogba, Regional Population and Development Technical Adviser, Western and Central Africa Regional Office , UNFPA
- Lynne Henderson, Senior Statistics Adviser, DFID
- Mady Biaye, Regional Population and Development Technical Adviser, ESA Regional Office, UNFPA
- Sabrina Juran, Technical Specialist, Data and Research, Population and Development Branch, UNFPA
- Sandra Paredez, Regional Technical Advisor on Census, Latin America and the Caribbean, UNFPA
- Seiffe Tadesse, Statistical Division, UN
- Simon-Pierre TEGANG, Regional M&E Adviser, Arab States Regional Office, UNFPA