Beginning in December 2009, with her receipt of the Louis B. Sohn Human Rights Award, and throughout 2010, the final year of her tenure, UNFPA Executive Director Thoraya Ahmed Obaid was honoured with numerous awards and acknowledgements from civil society, member states and others in the UN system.
In early June, at the close of the Women Deliver II conference, Ms. Obaid was recognized for a lifetime of delivering for women. In September, on the eve of the Millennium Development Review Summit, she received an MDG Lifetime Achievement Award for her contributions to advancing the human rights of women. In May, 2011 she was awarded the prestigious Union Medal.
An outpouring of acknowledgement at the Executive Board farewell ceremony
In its final session (September 2010) the UNDP/UNFPA Executive Board held a farewell ceremony during which it adopted a special decision entitled "Expression of appreciation to Thoraya Ahmed Obaid, Executive Director of the United Nations Population Fund, 2001-2010".
A farewell statement by the President of the Executive Board was followed by words of appreciation and acknowledgment by numerous agencies and delegations. Farewell remarks are being posted below as they become available.
- By the President of the UNFPA/UNDP Executive Board
- On behalf of the African Group
- On behalf of the Group of Latin America and Caribbean Countries
- By the Minister Counsellor Wang Hongbo of China
- On behalf of the Permanent Mission of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia to the UN
- By the UNDP Administrator
- By the Executive Board Vice-President, Asian States (Mr. Ahmad N. Warraich, Counsellor, Pakistan)
- By Ambassador Susan E. Rice, U.S. Permanent Representative to the United Nations
- On behalf of the Group of 77 and China