The Executive Board
1. Welcomes the report on funding commitments to UNFPA for 2004 and future years (DP/FPA/2004/10);
2. Notes with satisfaction that UNFPA has, in 2004, attained a funding level of over $300 million in regular resources, thus matching the level attained immediately following the International Conference on Population and Development (ICPD);
3. Recognizes also that sustaining and improving this funding level will require countries that are in a position to do so to augment their funding efforts during the period of the UNFPA multi-year funding framework (MYFF), 2004-2007;
4. Commends UNFPA for pursuing a strategy to maintain a strong core funding base, encourages UNFPA to continue its efforts to reduce dependency on a few large donors and to broaden its donor base, invites all countries that have not yet done so to provide contributions to regular resources for 2004, and further invites those that have already made contributions to consider supplementing their 2004 contributions in order to increase the regular resource base of UNFPA;
5 . Encourages countries that are in a position to do so to announce multi-year pledges and payment schedules in accordance with the current MYFF cycle, 2004-2007, and to maintain such pledges and payment schedules thereafter, and further encourages countries to make contribution payments as early in the year as possible;
6. Encourages UNFPA to continue to mobilize supplementary resources for its programmes, bearing in mind that core resources remain the bedrock of the resource mobilization strategy of UNFPA;
7. Recognizes the key role of UNFPA in assisting countries to achieve the goals and objectives of ICPD and the Key actions for the further implementation of the ICPD Programme of Action (ICPD+5), which make an essential contribution to achieving the Millennium Development Goals*, and that the effective implementation of the ICPD Programme of Action and ICPD+5 will require adequate financial resources, both domestic and external, and encourages all countries to intensify their efforts in this regard and in accordance with the relevant provisions of the ICPD Programme of Action;
8. Invites all countries to make every effort to strengthen their commitment to meet the goals of the ICPD Programme of Action.
23 June 2004
*Internationally agreed development goals, including those contained in the Millennium Declaration.