The Executive Board
1. Notes with appreciation the results achieved by the United Nations Development Fund for Women in implementing its Strategy and Business Plan 2000-2003, as contained in document DP/2004/CRP.3;
2. Stresses that the United Nations Development Fund for Women's comparative advantage is its innovative and catalytic mandate to support the fulfillment of commitments to gender equality and women's empowerment;
3. Endorses the strategic directions and priorities set out in the Strategic Results Framework of the Multi-year funding framework 2004-2007, as contained in DP/2004/5;
4. Particularly encourages the United Nations Development Fund for Women to further strengthen and focus its partnerships within the United Nations system including the United Nations Development Group in order to enhance women's empowerment, human rights and gender equality at all levels and advises all United Nations entities to call upon the United Nations Development Fund for Women in its areas of comparative advantage;
5. Welcomes the UNIFEM strategic approach to becoming an effective resource to programme countries and UN organizations in bringing, under the leadership and ownership of the programme countries, a gender equality perspective to coordination mechanisms such as the Common Country Assessment/United Nations Development Assistance Framework and the national poverty reduction strategies.
6. Encourages UNIFEM, within its mandate, to contribute to the attainment of the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) ¹.
7. Notes with appreciation the effort made by United Nations Development Fund for Women and United Nations Development Programme to work together in partnership in those areas where synergy can strengthen progress towards gender equality and women's empowerment and encourages the two organizations to pursue closer cooperation;
8. Reiterates that regular resources are the bedrock of UNIFEM and essential to maintaining the multilateral, neutral and universal nature of its work;
9. Approves the Integrated Resources Framework for 2004-2007 contained in report DP/2004/5 and encourages all countries in a position to do so to assist the United Nations Development Fund for Women to reach the targeted level of regular and other resources of 177.5 million US dollars for the period 2004-2007, including through multi-year pledges by countries in a position to make them;
10. Welcomes the appointment by the General Assembly of the new Consultative Committee of the United Nations Development Fund for Women as contained in document A/58/PV.75.
11. Requests the Executive Director of UNIFEM, in collaboration with the Administrator of UNDP and the Executive Director of UNFPA, and in consultation with Member States, to explore options for reporting on results in a harmonized manner, each within its respective mandate, and to report on this issue at the annual session 2004 of the Executive Board.
30 January 2004
¹ Internationally agreed development goals, including those contained in the Millennium Declaration.