The Executive Board
1. Thanks the Government of Mozambique for hosting the joint field visit of the Executive Boards of UNDP/UNFPA, the United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF) and the World Food Programme (WFP) in March 2003, and the United Nations country team for their contribution to the visit;
3. Considers the joint field visits (alongside field visits of individual Executive Boards) an important contribution to the engagement of the Executive Board in the coherent work of the funds and programmes at the country level, and in particular to understanding the contribution made by the United Nations country team, in cooperation with donors, to national development strategies;
4. Notes that future joint field visits should focus on themes of common interest to the Executive Boards of UNDP/UNFPA, UNICEF and WFP, such as the United Nations Development Assistance Framework arrangements, the work of the United Nations country team on the MDGs* and/or other relevant cross-cutting themes for discussion at subsequent joint meetings of UNDP/UNFPA, UNICEF and WFP Executive Boards, while at the same time allowing members of the Boards to visit the projects of their respective agencies;
5. Notes that joint field visits can place a considerable burden on host governments, United Nations country teams and secretariats, and can have significant costs, requests that this be taken into account in deciding on destinations and the duration for future joint visits, and invites the Bureau of the Executive Board of UNDP/UNFPA to propose to the Bureaux of the Executive Boards of UNICEF and WFP to provide clear guidance and consider the possibility of rotating secretariat responsibility for coordinating and organizing joint field visits;
6. Invites the Bureau of the Executive Board of UNDP/UNFPA to facilitate discussion on future joint field visits through the secretariat and with the Bureaux of the Executive Boards and secretariats of UNICEF and WFP, with a view to preparing the options for a joint field visit in 2004 for consideration by the Executive Boards of the respective organizations at their September and October sessions.
19 June 2003
* Internationally agreed development goals, including those contained in the Millennium Declaration.